SISTAS ON THE LINKS
- Unite and expose African American women to golf.
- Provide opportunities to play in an environment of encouragement and acceptance.
- Strengthen our golf skills.
- Support each other in reaching our personal goals through networking, mentoring & social activities.
- Introduce golf to young women & nurture their academic growth.
Recognizing that women in general and African American women more specifically have limited exposure to the game of golf, a group of African American women gathered in Richmond, CA on July 12, 2008 and formed Sistas on the Links Golf Club (SOTL). SOTL is a 73 member women’s golf club in the San Francisco Bay Area focused on:
- Introducing women to the game of golf and supporting their learning experience;
- Helping women feel comfortable on the golf course, including playing the game, the language, rules and etiquette;
- Providing access to organized, convenient golf in a friendly learning environment;
- Offering organized golf events and player development opportunities for both beginner and experienced golfers;
- Supporting youth golf development programs;
- Serving as a member resource for upcoming classes, clinics, golf clothing and equipment;
- Participating in golf tournament play and other activities with member clubs;
- Hosting 9-hole play dates where experienced golfers pair with new golfers on the course;
- Hosting an annual membership meeting and dinner to acknowledge members accomplishments and growth in their golf experience;
- Hosting an annual golfer’s swap-meet to barter gently used golf equipment and clothing among members.
SOTL is governed by a Board of Directors that consists of seven officers and appointed chairs of standing committees. In 2009 SOTL became a member club of Western States Golf Association (WSGA) to share resources and access to handicap reporting systems.
Approval Letter Link: 501c(3) Approval Letter